Situated on the India-Bangladesh border, Dawki is a small town in West Jainita Hills district, Meghalaya, about 80 Km from Shillong. This place offers two main attractions or better say experiences to marble upon.
Firstly, Dawki is famous for the crystal clear waters of Umngot River. The water is so clear that river surface is visible in shallow areas. A boat ride in the Umngot river itself is worth the visit to this town.
Secondly, standing on the peaceful Indo-Bangladesh border is a unique adventure in itself. It is fascinating to see friendly Bangladeshi people jumping over to the Indian side to shake hands and click photographs with our people. The virtual border line passes right through the Umngot river, marked by couple of rocks in the water.
I tried to capture the beauty of the Umngot river from every angle possible and here goes the photos.
1. All the people standing are from Bangladesh, except a BSF Jawan. Try spotting him.
2. Colorful boats are being readied. A one hour ride will cost 800 per boat.
3. The area to the left of the last boats on the left is Bangladesh. No border markings here.
4. A local man fishing. Fish is very cheap and easily available in Dawki.
5. Dawki Bridge, is a suspension bridge over the Umngot River. It was constructed in 1932 by the British.
6. An aerial shot from the top.
7. My partner in crime. The boatmen here are very friendly and honest.
8. The view and the clear waters.
9. Its selfie time for the ladies.
10. Happy ladies, fulfilled by the beauty and experience.
11. Capturing the beauty of the river. Looking for that perfect shot.
12. Taking a dip in the crystal clear waters of Umngot River.
13. Lush green forests around the river make up for a beautiful sight.
14. Last point till where the boats can go. Get down here and take a dip.
15. Heading back to the Pavilion after a beautiful ride.
16. They don't want to go back.
17. Spot the Dawky bridge in distance.